Sunday, March 1, 2015

WFPB

Whole Food Plant Based now describes ME !   A few years ago I thought I was but I was wrong.    I am not a Vegan or a Vegetarian.    I eat whole foods, not processed look- alike foods, but greens, nuts, seeds, beans, fruit, veggies, grains all put together in delicious combinations that result in allowing my body ( in these, my golden years .... ??... why golden? ) to be the best it can be.  
The only downside is that I wish I was smarter many years ago.   I have been wary of meat for a long time but I can't say that the rest of my diet was so healthy.    And the proof has been the growing out of clothes, the achy joints and the need for BP meds and statins ( I can't take them but should).  
We all assume that this is a natural part of growing older and there is always a drug that will manage the next condition.   I see changes in our family as they add on the years and friends who have debilitating chronic conditions and I want to get on the soapbox and share some tools and ideas that might just turn things around.    But I won't................Instead I'll just say that I feel great.    I am walking farther and faster every day.      I have no achy joints.   I sleep soundly.    I have more energy.   I'm happy.    And, in less than 6 weeks, I am down 11 pounds.    We eat very well.....we fill up fast on roasted veggies, delicious chili, huge salads filled with assorted veggies, seeds and nuts and green ( kale, chard, spinach ) smoothies sweetened with a banana, blueberries and an apple.     We use soy or cashew or almond milk.   We eat whole wheat breads and pastas.    We have hummus with flour free crackers or carrots.     One of us has an occasional bite of baked fish.     We are in the infancy stage of learning but it is energizing to see what our bodies will do at this age.    And, we drink wine.     What's not to like about all of this.  
I certainly don't expect my readers to jump on the bandwagon.   Depending on how and what you eat, it is a big change and a commitment but after a week or two, you'll look at food in an entirely different way.    And, by doing your own research, you will see the role of politics, drug companies,  the meat industry and the corn industry in manipulating what we eat.  
Yes, there is nothing worse than a convert..... sorry about that but maybe I've piqued your interest.  

6 comments:

  1. Good for you!!! Several years ago when diagnoised with RA I was on so many meds I felt worse than just the joint pain. Today, although not totally pain free - part of old age we can/may/will have some pain! - but I am also off drugs! Yes, occasional Advil but....we are not red meat eaters...I do eat fish/chicken but not much serving wise. Salad almost daily! And always some veggies...walking is a must! Plus, it poops out my dog! And my Dr. told me to drink a glass of red wine daily...so who's to argue! Your posts have always "piqued my interest"!!! Take care and again...GOOD FOR YOU! Maybe you'll inspire others too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to your home cooking at the end of the month! Cheese and I are not enjoying the separation!

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great testimony Sue. We are slowly making progress enjoying greens, fruits, veggies, nuts and plain organic yogurt in the juicer. I can already tell a difference in just 2 weeks! Next I'm working on meats...

    ReplyDelete
  4. No matter what diet appeals to you, Sue is right! You need to learn what Big Food, Big Pharma, and the USDA (and the FDA) are doing to our food supply and the corporate greed that is going on among those entities. Hint: They're not doing you any favors, trust me! There are hundreds of rabbit holes to fall into as you discover how our food supply is being corrupted and is ruining our nation's health. It's a crime. Google it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm trying to do pretty much the same, altho I do eat a little fish and chicken.

    ReplyDelete