Monday, March 16, 2015

Spring has sprung.......

So, we are giving golf one more chance to see if we really want to continue to beat up our egos.   I guess the key is playing more than once a month as the game seems to be coming back a bit.   But, at this age, it ain't going to come back very far......


 We had to pause while the residents of this  golf course strolled by on his way to someplace important.     Haven't seen too many wood storks before .....Welcome !!


The pool is finally warm and refreshing.   We are doing the spring clean up and power washing the winter dust off and also eradicating the tiny pesky anoles once again.    Another golf ball punched it's way thru the top of the screening again yesterday and bounced around making a lot of noise.   The Tee boxes are located past those palms but normally, we just get a few rolling into the yard.   The owner must have had an idea where it went as he did not drive over to look for it.    Because we live on a golf course, the law says it's just a hazard of living here and we have no recourse.....not that I would do anything anyhow.   But he could have said "Sorry " !!


Blog alert:    Time for my next lecture  on plant based eating for your learning pleasure.   
I am not a cook and fortunately live with the right man who isn't fussy.    Transitioning to this way of eating has been a challenge.   Some people try and duplicate familiar foods and that is not always successful.    I don't get the need to make fake meat or buy fake meat.     Initially, it might make the transition easier but the taste buds do change and the way you look at food changes and soon, you eat what looks and tastes good.     I'm spending a lot more time and effort to try and come up with healthy and tasty items.    I'm thankful for the web and Facebook groups and several cookbooks that I've studied.   Here are pictures of a couple of successes.  


 Corn bread.    Oil and sugar free.   It has  maple syrup for a touch of sweetness.  No eggs.   The cornmeal is kind of rustic and coarse which I like.    Great warm with honey.
 

 OK, so this is a copycat....called Fettucini alfredo but that's not what it tastes like so I wouldn't name it that.    It's whole wheat fettuccine , broccoli, and a sauce made with cauliflower.    No egg, cheese, dairy or oil.     Very good and even better the next day.


 Every day for lunch we have a delicious green smoothie.    Lots of kale, chard and spinach with an apple, banana and blueberries and cashew milk.   We top it with flax for our omega 3's.  


So then I made rice and beans.....and added corn.    It is delicious.    We eat it as a snack with corn tortilla chips that I bake.   Or add it to burritos made with refried beans, ww tortillas and sometimes onions and red peppers.  

We eat oatmeal every morning, lots of potatoes and veggies and beans and salads.    I made oatmeal, walnut raisin cookies that are a sweet treat ( again, no oil, no dairy, no eggs, no flour etc ).    We eat until we are satisfied.....no counting calories.    We are losing weight but the main thing is that we feel  SO MUCH BETTER....  I want to ask why everyone doesn't eat this way!!    I regret the way I ate for years altho I have never eaten or liked much meat.  
I encourage everyone to watch the CNN special that Dr Sanja Gupta did this fall called "The Last Heart attack".   It's available on youtube and should be required watching.  

OK, enough already........

BUT, if you want any info............................I'm available.  



3 comments:

  1. The Woodstock is beautiful.

    We love the green smoothies...did you grind the flax seed and just put it on top? We always add nuts to the juices we make and tried the flax once, it was horrible! Walnuts and almonds are much better. So no dairy? We also add a dollop of plain organic yougart to our juice as Joe thinks we need the calcium and immune fighters...last night I stuffed bell peppers ( orange and red ) with black beans diced tomatoes and sautéed onions and garlic that I added taco mix to. Topped with salsa and sour cream. It was yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool bird! Never seen one like that. I love seeing your food--looks very tasty. Won't show you mine, though. I'm assuming no dairy (I know I've asked you before) so where do you get your fat? Like Gay, I hate the flax! BLFFFT! I tried putting it in meatballs but never again. Now I use GF bread. I don't love GF bread but it works fine in meatballs because you don't taste it. We keep meatballs in the freezer for "fast food" lunches.

    Regarding the golf game, you are correct that it doesn't quite come back all the way. I am scoring approximately 18 strokes higher than I did a year ago before I took 10 months off. But I still have a good time out there. Jim quit playing 10 years ago and he has never looked back with regret.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really impressed!!!! The food looks great!!! You are a way better person than I am! I know I wouldn't stick to it and hubby doesn't really care! But we do eat veggies (lots!) every day...but then the margarita's do call!!!! Hope we can squeeze in a coffee before we leave!

    ReplyDelete