Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sneezing across the miles...

We drove 500 miles today. It was on wide open highways traversing Wyoming and Nebraska and it was downhill all the way. We got pretty good gas mileage for a change........that being a relative thing, considering what we are driving. There are no pictures. It was gray and cloudy and foggy and misty and only in the 50's. We crisscrossed the Oregon trail. Somewhere along the way are the actual ruts still visible from the wagon trains. I have pictures from a previous trip.....but can't remember where they are.

Wyoming is an interesting place from the cockpit of the bus. The western part is magnificent and majestic. Then it gradually levels out to scrub brush and hills but the elevation stays around 7-8000 feet. There is no indication of farming but are cattle. Scattered about are odd, large structures that have no identifying signs nor familiar shapes like refineries or mining or manufacturing. They are not all alike but all look fairly recent...10 years or so. It makes the imagination come to life and I visualized even more mystery off in the hills away from the eyes from the interstate. And throw into all of this is the fact that this is Mr Cheney's home state ! Nothing political..........but sinister comes to mind. Oh, well, guess I could google Wyoming Secrets and see what pops up.

I read where another person was killed by a grizzley last week. This being a hunter with another hunter and large guns as they were hunting bear ! Now, if you can't protect yourself with a big gun, what are your chances of warding off the man eating beasts with bells and whistles and loud renditions of "we'll be comin' round the mountain" ? The various guides suggest carrying Bear spray. At $46 a can, you are to spray it in their face and eyes.......yup, I can visualize myself doing that easily. In the guide it says it is NOT a repellent and not to be used to spray your clothes or tent. Darn, it would be so much better if they would scatter like mosquitos. My solution is to not go where the bears go.

The last two nights we have had the good fortune to park ourselves in campgrounds with lousy WiFi and next to the interstate. Both had high ratings but by the time we find this out, we are already situated. So, I've had to produce the blog via the 3G on the iPad which has a very sensitive keyboard and I end up slogging thru with many typos. But It's great for adding pictures. So I am not my usual verbose and witty self when I have to keep correcting every 3rd word.

One of us has a darn good head cold and despite gallons of water, zinc, Advil and TLC from the onboard nurse, he is not feeling great. Fortunately, the roads are good and I can do extra driving duty while he catches a nap, buckled in on the sofa. He insists we continue and hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Lincoln, Nebraska

2 comments:

  1. I have long been interested in the pioneer movement and would love to visit that area and see those wagon ruts. I come from pioneer stock. My grandmother grew up in Kearney, Nebraska, along the Platte River. Her parents went there during the post Civil War expansion and had something like 20 kids.

    Oh--and I have your head cold. Sniff sniff sneeze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you brought back good memories with your posts about Yellowstone and Teton NPs. We did invest in bear spray since even the veterans said they wouldn't go hiking without it. I wasn't real anxious to go too far off the beaten track and some of the trails were closed because of bear activity. We did see some (griz and black) but from some distance.
    Sorry about Paul's cold and hope you don't get it. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete