Friday, September 23, 2011

Living better with drugs...........

We are feeling better.....not great yet but he is going about as usual and I am still enjoying the couch between laundry loads. I think my going to the ER so quickly really made a big difference.....I doubt I could have made it until the Urgent Care Ctr opened in the morning. Well, I wasn't dying or anything but life was not good and it happened so rapidly that it was a bit scary.
Anyhow, home looks really appealing these days and reliving the wonderful trip is a perfect antidote for feeling lousy. And, the main reason for this blog is so we can remember the details of our life. Going back and viewing the trip just ignites the great memories of family and friends and mountains and wild flowers and views along the road. I post very few pictures but those make me go into the archive and relive the moments. Try it.......its much better than a file of dated pictures. I mentioned that we went to Old Faithful but didn't wait for the eruption. I guess that would be like going to Paris and not seeing the Eiffel Tower . We have seen it erupt a few times and it is impressive. The earthquakes and other geological activity has resulted in a longer, less predictable time between events and we just missed the previous one. It was late in the day and we were needing a campground before dark so we opted to skip it.
Here is a peek at the Tetons.....the clouds were low and misty and we just got an occasional glimpse. We'll just have to go back and see them in all their glory another day.
In reviewing and downloading pictures, I have not been particularly pleased with the results. I know that 99% of a picture is the person behind the lens. And the problem with point and shoot cameras is that we expect to do just that and get excellent results.....I think it makes us lazy. Often, I just stuck my head out a window and pressed the button. Part of this was the mode of transportation.....we just can't pull over anywhere. When I take my time, I do better. Being basically a very impatient person, the iPhone and the Sony Cybershot worked well. Then this spring, I upgraded to the Canon Power Shot. I have been struggling with it since day one. I keep reading the manual and trying new things but still not really getting the results I want. I think it does well on kids and flowers and such but not landscapes. The zoom is impressive but needs a tripod to avoid blurring (which I don't have).
So, my time on the couch has been spent researching a new camera. I don't think I'm much smarter and I'm still very much on the fence about it. I know that a DSLR is heavy and bulky and expensive. And then there is the lens issue...but I kind of know what I would get. And I wouldn't obviously carry it around with me but would love it for special opportunities and travel. Our 3 sons have an impressive array of equipment and I have sought advice. I'm looking at the Canon Rebel if any of you have it and have an opinion. There are a lot of tutorials out there and I plan a trip to the bookstore today if the old body is up for a field trip.
In my reading, I'm also learning that most everyone Photoshops their pics before posting.....so, I'm going to order Photoshop Elements and see what that does. My brother just had a book made of a few of his spectacular photos.....hardcover with excellent quality......makes a great coffee table book. I'm sure I'm a bit behind the times but wouldn't this make a great birthday, anniversary, baby, special occasion gift ?
OK, I'm going to try and meet the day head on and get something done.......until I need a nap.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you are rallying. I am thinking now I should have taken the Z-pak. I did that when I came down with a virus 3 days before we were to leave for Croatia. By the time I got some sleep in Zagreb, I was in good shape for the first day of sightseeing. Better living through chemistry!

    About your Canon Sure Shot--turn off the digital zoom. Don't use it. (Makes noisy pictures.) Set the format as large and as fine as possible, and crop in Photoshop. You can set the ASA higher (1000 or 1600) for shots out of the car, but a good everyday setting is 200 for day shots and flash, and 400 for dark, cloudy days. By setting the ASA, you don't have to take the camera out of Program mode-- you can fool it into giving you the results you want. You can lighten or darken in Photoshop, but you can't fix blur.

    Also, you don't NEED a tripod. Set the camera on something and prop it up so you get near the shot you want (you're going to crop it in Photoshop later), then turn on the timer and let it snap without touching it.

    You can read the manual all day long, but it's better to take the camera and practice each thing.

    PS, they told me the same thing about golf clubs--that it's the person--but new clubs proved them wrong....

    ReplyDelete