Saturday, January 17, 2015

Potpourri




Seriously, I really need to be more aware of my responsibilities as a blogger and occasionally post something...... something catchy and witty and substantial and mysterious and meaningful and ...... oh, forget it.   This is as good as it gets in my brain.  

In my never ending quest to eat healthy, I've perfected the best 'Big Pot" of substantial fixings.     This is what I call chili but it's more than that.     I start with diced tomatoes, add canned corn, beans (lots of beans ), kale, spinach, lots of onion, and taco seasoning.     Then, depending on what I have, I throw in my zucchini or squash or sweet potato noodles, and then quinoa penne pasta....made with just quinoa and corn meal.     It doesn't stay together as it sits for a couple days but it adds a nice hearty substance to the liquid.    You can also use just the quinoa grains or small pasta or brown rice.    I used to make it with ground turkey breast but now that I'm meat-free again, I don't need it and it isn't missed.

Under the Christmas tree this year were these unique bowl/plate combos from Jeff and Jennifer.   They are perfect for just about anything that goes in a bowl.    The plate twists off and the handle on the bowl is very handy.    We use them a lot and especially for the 'chili'....
Speaking of eating and the resulting need to work it off, no matter how healthy the food..... I won this prestigious award after competing in the Workweek Hustle with my blog friend Robbie and a friend of hers.    All courtesy of FiTBIT.     I love that little device and it continues to motivate me to get out  and move.


.   

I also joined The Villages FITBIT group and out of 20 members (pretty pathetic participation considering there are over 100,000 people here) I am in 9th place after only a couple of days.    The leader averages over 20,000 steps a day !   Sounds a bit like an overachiever or else she's a rambunctious 2 year old.

While I'm out there doing my steps, I am listening to this book.    It has gotten rave reviews on Amazon and Jon and MB liked it.    They said it was pretty scientific, which is an understatement, but I can easily ignore the equation to make water from various elements that the stranded astronaut on Mars has to contend with..... It's also funny.     I enjoy audible books but they are expensive.    I'm on a trial subscription with audible.com and get 2 freebies this month and then they will charge me $14.95 / month for ONE book.    That's not going to happen as long as I remember to cancel after I get my 2nd book.


Cobble Creek came to The Villages this month.    Friends, Sue and Matt ( last seen on the  hiking trails in Capitol Reef NP ) are renting a lovely house down here for 3 months.     We caught up with them at the Square one evening enjoying the high-energy band.    Coach P is also working with all of us to improve our pickle ball game so we can go back to Colorado with enough skills to play without embarrassing ourselves.      Speaking of the Coach, he is in a league and his team is in FIRST place.
AND, absolutely, that is coffee in that Starbucks cup !!!!!

PS:    Thank you for not mentioning the words............ 18, orange, Super Bowl.  

4 comments:

  1. You are a great writer Sue! Your posts make me laugh. Love the looks of you chili. Congratulations and keep up the hard work it takes to be fit. I haven't given up on me yet, but it's getting close...I so need to get back in the routine of eating healthy and exercising! I sure want to be able to keep up with you all when we visit Montrose this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judging by the garb in the bottom photo, it's cold down there in Flo'da. I like the looks of that chili you made, but our diets are so far the opposite sides of the rainbow...well, gosh, I pretty much couldn't eat any of that. Let's see: GMO corn, pasta, beans...and I couldn't eat the stinkin crackers (gluten), neither. Nope, my chili would be made from ground beef, tomato, and seasonings. And it would get topped with cheese. How different we are... Whatever works, right? xoxo

    A gal I played golf with this week had a fit-bit (I still haven't gotten mine--damn Santa!!) and after the round she said we walked 13,000 steps (or whatever it measures). Not bad, but 9th place? You really ARE an overachiever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do enoy your blogs and do think you are witty and fun to read. As for your chili, it all sounds great, but I gave up on beans. As much as I love them and as healthy as they are, they don't like me. Have I given you my recipe for Power Soup? Basically it's onions. butternut squash, farrow (the new darling of grains), canned tomatoes, chicken broth, and kale. Serve topped with Parmesan cheese. So yummy and so healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go girl!!! You are doing SO good on your daily steps!!! Now that I'm back home and weather is decent I aspire to be close behind you!!! And I read The Martian...wasn't it a good read!!!! I loved it! Take care...hope to catch up in person this winter!

    ReplyDelete