Tuesday, November 11, 2014

War…...

Houses don't do well when left alone.   They must get lonely and invite guests in from the outside.    Ask us how we know !!!!

The first sign was little droppings at the base of a picture and a mirror…..then there was the very desiccated frog under a piece of furniture.    And then, there was the very much alive large GECKO viewing the world from the wicker rocking chair…..inside .     I'm rather used to the quick nimble -footed lizards outside.    They are good at popping out when you least expect them.    They are good at catching insects and apparently, very prolific breeders.     But, I draw the line when they come inside.    I suspect they came in with the house-watchers….if a door was left open a crack, they will scurry in.   I have no idea where the frog came from.   I've heard of the geckos hanging out behind a frame, be it a mirror or picture and I think that's how we had the droppings below…..ugh !       The rocking chair got moved hastily outside , with Mr Gecko riding along.     The floors got a good cleaning and inspection and nothing else was found.      
As usual, the lanai was needing a good power washing.    At least twice a year, we tackle that ordeal.    I managed to annihilate a few with the power washer.     This year, there seems to be a large number of small ones…..less than an inch in size.   And I certainly don't want them growing to adult hood in my space.    So, today I resorted to my tried and true method of gecko extermination…….the old vacuum with the bag and long wand.     I can sneak up them and suck them up in a flash…..no hideout is safe from my eyes.    Last year I estimated that I scooped up about 35 in two days.    Today, I probably got 7 or 8 and I know of a couple more that evaded me.     I'll go on patrol again tomorrow.       Neighbors with cats don't have a problem……I prefer a vacuum.      

The weather is ideal right now and it would be lovely to open the french doors to the lanai and enjoy the breezes and views……but I'm not even tempted.   


I was out on an early walk this morning and saw myself  projected up the street……I love my Fitbit and I managed to meet my 10,000 step goal  for the day by 8:30.     It's very green and lush down here and the delightfully blue plumbago is in full bloom along with assorted colors of hibiscus.    

Other than waging a war and playing bad golf, there isn't much going on and that's just fine.   

2 comments:

  1. I just never imaged raging a war with Geckos...now that comes on the heels of just having watched the new X-Men movie last night about mutant wars. You better be careful!

    Enjoy your wonderful weather. Looks like you left Montrose just in time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good lord that's a lot of geckos. Who could imagine. I know what you mean about houses left alone...ours didn't fare so well, either. We had bug service, so not too many creepy crawlies inside, but everything dried up and the water in the drainpipes evaporated--it took a week to get the sewer stench out of there. It was awful. So I moved :)

    ReplyDelete