Monday, November 17, 2014

If appliances had eyes.............

Life is good.....  but it's not really blog worthy of late.    No beautiful mountains or golden aspens to show.    Yes, there are some pretty flowers but I'd have to change the lens to get a decent macro shot and I'm still busy fighting the gecko war....one thing at a time.     

Jon captured  a frosty sunrise in Connecticut.

 The man of the house  is down and out with a head cold.    I made a trip to our NY deli to pick up some  hearty Jewish mother's  chicken soup for him.    He is feeling better so it must have been worth the trip.    
We've always read how world class athletes often train at higher altitude in order to increase  their red blood cells to carry more oxygen.    I think it has worked for us as well.     I am walking farther and farther with less effort and climbing the hills on the golf courses is much easier than I remember.    He said that he noticed he had more stamina at pickleball.    I'm not sure how long the effect lasts but we are appreciating those extra RBC's.

I have walked most everyday since we got back and I use Runkeeper on my phone to keep track of the distance and pace.    It also has  a little map of my route....so I can find my way home I think.    Today, I did 4.86 mi in 100% humidity .    Very uncomfortable and then the front met the cold air of tomorrow and we had some serious storms and warnings.    Today it was 83 and tomorrow it is to be in the 30's in the morning.      


 I am still using my FITBIT which is a great motivator.     It gives me awards and smiley faces and calls me champ when I accomplish more than usual.   I have worn it daily since I got it about 8 months ago.    I'm not sure how it measures going up stairs.....we just have small hills here and no stairs so I discount that item.
My goal is 10,000 steps per day and I have reached 15,000 on occasion.    It makes me happy.  I read a blog of a younger (40ish) woman with kids who walks 15,000 a day but then, she IS a bit younger so I feel OK about my stats.          My mother walked .... and gardened.    I only walk and the plants have to fend for themselves.



I was searching thru the archives and found this GoPro video that Jon made awhile back......  Oops....it appears that the video won't open on my phone or iPad.....but works on the computer.


2 comments:

  1. Rock on, CHAMP! I need to get one of those FitBit thingies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a funny video. Maybe if we all had a video camera in our fridges we wouldn't be in there so much!

    ReplyDelete