Friday, January 24, 2014

Aging gracefully, or not……..

It's pretty quiet around here.    AND COLD !   Freezing most nights and windy and chilly the rest of the time.    The sun shines but that's deceiving when you venture out.

Sometimes I forget that we live in a retirement community…..First of all, if you'd' asked me even 8 years ago if that was on our radar, I would have been indignant and said "Just  shoot me instead !"     But times and circumstances and perceptions change.    And here we are and it's a pretty nice place to spend part of the year.    We've made active, involved and vibrant friends.    We don't all look or feel our age.    We are usually nice !!

So, where am I going with this. ……?   Today, I saw the other side of the retirement community.     I went to turn in my pictures for the newspapers photo contest.     About 10 others were there, mostly women.    The coordinator explained in detail, to each of us individually, the simple paperwork involved and the instructions for submission.    This was also spelled out in the newspaper each day and I had diligently followed the directions and quickly filled out the remaining paperwork.    As I waited to have her check my folder I witnessed an episode of herding cats old people.    I was truly amazed at how rude and inconsiderate they were.   And how totally unable to follow directions and the rules.   When the lovely woman finally got around to reviewing my folder, I suggested that she be eligible for sainthood.    She just shook her head and said "Just wait until the winners are announced.   I will be getting all sorts of irate and angry calls wanting to know why they didn't win !"    I was appalled.    And, if anyone of you has to deal with miserable old goats, well, I'm sorry but we aren't all like that !!   

I ended up submitting only 3 pictures as only one in each category was allowed and most of mine were plants or animals which came under the single category of Nature.    I feel the frog has the best chance altho I'm not even optimistic about that.    There are 3 large Photography Clubs here and they usually take the majority of the awards.    But, maybe the experience will make me better.     I was #417 and today is the last day to enter.

Had a wonderfully long ( over 3 hours) lunch with my artist friend Mindy.   She leads the Art and Photography tours to Costa Rica that we went on last year…..and now she and Joe have moved to TV. I am thrilled that I will have my very own art instructor near and someone to "talk art" with.    I miss having a  like minded group around.   I've gone to a few of the art clubs but nothing is what I am looking for.

We're getting excited to having Becca arrive in a week or so prior to starting her Disney internship again.    Her dad,( AKA the author of anonymous comments on the blog re: my choice of computers) will be driving with her in her cute VW Bug.      I hope the weather warms for them.

PS:    Just remembered.    We finished Breaking Bad last night.    No spoilers here, Norma, but it was time for it to be over in my opinion.    It's not an easy story line to watch but I totally get why it has won so many awards.    Quite brilliant.     Go get it on Netflix but know that 5+ years of episodes is a lot of TV watching.  

2 comments:

  1. I read recently about the pros and cons of living in a "retirement" community. Lots of pros, but one of the [major] cons is that your friends die. Still, it beats sitting alone in a double-wide in the northern states.

    We are just getting into Breaking Bad. I can't imagine how they could keep that story viable for 5+ years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your frog is surely a winner in my eyes and hopefully in the eyes of the judges.
    I'm now watching BB on Netflix. Disc 1 of season 4 arrived and the first two episodes were fine, but the third was all screwed up. I gave up trying to watch in staccato, reported it damaged and am waiting for the replacement. Since there's so little worth watching on TV, I will miss it when it's over, horrible as some parts are.

    ReplyDelete