Thursday, November 4, 2010

The wine was just fine......

We have planned to view a shuttle launch ever since we moved less than 2 hours from the site. On Tuesday, we finally headed over to the coast. Here is a view of a driving aid for the "Roadblock" that I would be lost without. It's the ubiquitous blue tape marking the center line of the highway. Lined up, it centers the coach on the road and I avoid the tendency to drift right to avoid those big rigs coming from behind. It also helps on narrow construction-filled roads.

As you know, the launch has been delayed several times but we enjoyed lovely weather and a few toasts to the brave astronauts. We tried to explore the area but the Canaveral National Seashore and the Merritt Island Wildlife areas were closed ......they are near the launch site and close 3 days prior. We stayed at a nice campground in Titusville but found the community to be mostly dying and vacant. It should only get worse as the Space program is dismantled. Knowing the weather forecast, we knew it wouldn't fly for a few days at least, so we wandered back home.
And because I have no pictures of rockets blasting into space, here are two that more than make up for it. Above is a Colorado sunset......quite amazing, that Jenna took with her iPhone. And below, is Jon's view of the George Washington bridge early on Wednesday. NOT taken on approach to Newark International. !!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely photos! Somehow my computer has ceased to update me with your posts so I just now have caught up with your last months' doings.
    I'm so excited to be working on flowers this week. But I have to admit that I am just a bit wishing I were in warmer climes where there are lovely blooms to paint, and outdoors at that. It's tooo cold to paint anything outdoors here, not to mention no flowers. Soak up some warm sun for me, OK?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures! The golden glow on the bridge is sensational. Too bad about the space shuttle. I have friends here who have been trying to see it and they were driving all the way down.

    ReplyDelete