Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Small World

When we lived in Newtown for 30 + yr s, I walked regularly on the area roads. And believe it or not, I even jogged in those younger years, up and down the country lanes. On occasion, I would pass another walker who just happened to have the same kind of dog that we had, a wonderful little Westie. This is our Laddie.....he lived 17 years. She also drove a Saab and had 3 sons, just like me. And blonde hair. And she lived about a mile from us. But altho we knew the same people, we never connected on a social level, just a Hi and wave as we passed on the roads. So, many many years later, after we'd lived in Pa for a few years, we came down here. And one of my former neighbors tells me that Sonja moved to The Villages also. Just out of curiosity, I looked them up in the phone book and WHOA.......they live on our STREET.!!!! How weird is that ??? So we are now walking partners. She still lives in Newtown and hates the heat so is only here for short days in the summer but is here most of the winter. I am heading up to Ct on Thurs and was looking forward to walking on those old familiar roads with her ....(.those hills are much more challenging these days).........but she emailed me and said she would be down here . So this morning , we had a vigorous hour plus jaunt around the neighborhoods. It's just not as scenic but the conversation is lively. We had a lot to catch up on. I still think it's remarkable that we have connected. She'll be down for a couple of weeks so we can do more catching up when I get back. I'm heading up to spend the weekend with Andy and Mason while their Mom and Dad go to a wedding. I'm looking forward to that fall weather and wearing jeans.
It's still 90 degrees down here.
Today, I headed over and got the first of the flu shots this year. I also


got the Shingles vaccine. Both of my parents had Shingles in recent years and I have seen the misery first hand. The Villages is very efficient in offering vaccines to anyone who wants them. Each day, a different area Rec. Center offers it and the wait is minimal. The pneumonia, flu , shingles and tetanus are all available. For all you old people, Medicare paid for it all except a small charge for the Shingles.


1 comment:

  1. What a nice story about connecting with your former neighbor. Looking forward to seeing you on Friday.

    ReplyDelete