Saturday, October 21, 2017

Day 2.... Willis Creek Trail

We did not know what to expect when the recommended hike for the day was a slot canyon.   I had an idea and also a nagging feeling that I wasn't sure I wanted to hike in one.    I had heard the horrific stories of flash floods and saw the warnings that being hit by a flash flood in a canyon is comparable to 2 elephants slamming into you.     I felt somewhat comforted by the blue skies and dry forecast.     We drove to the trailhead on a 5 mi dirt road occasionally encountering deep deep sand....not passable in a regular car.  

 We did about 4 miles on the trail.   It was breathtaking.












Note the warning on the sign.....

I have a touch of claustrophobia but felt fairly comfortable.    The group mentioned another slot canyon they wanted to try where you have to walk sideways without your pack to get thru.   However, the visitors center said there was chest high stagnant water in it that smelled like "dead rats"......!!!

This was a treat of a lifetime..... I hope we will go back.



1 comment:

  1. We have hiked Willis Creek twice...once with Dover & Wrecks and a second time to spread Wrecks’ ashes. He loved it there! It’s a beauty of a hike!

    ReplyDelete