Saturday, October 14, 2017

A long day's journey.........

Before we flew west again and right on schedule, the leaves started to turn.   With memories of our 30+ years witnessing this stunning show, I was thrilled that we got to enjoy it one more time.   





 And late one afternoon, Jon took us for a scenic boat ride on Lake Zoar.    We had a boat on Lake Lillinonah, separated from Zoar by a dam, so this was reminiscent of our many many years of boating.    Jon keeps his in a town boat slip but we had to trailer ours in and out.    I never ever learned to back up with a boat trailer.




 This is the time of year when the pool boy gets a good workout.   As I was looking from an upper deck I noticed two rambunctious chipmunks chasing each other in circles.    Suddenly, they both circled themselves into the pool!   Fortunately, they can swim.   Unfortunately, they can't climb out.    I raced down,  grabbed the net and eventually caught the tiny exhausted things.   One dashed off but the other just sat there..... I left him alone and after about 30 min, he was gone.   They have had creatures in there before but I doubt I would have been so heroic had it been a snake.


It was so good to get back to be with the boys and to be in familiar places once again.     Andy and the Newtown HS Marching Band took top honors in NJ over 19 other bands.   Their next big event will be in Nov at the Met Life stadium.   I would love to cheer them on !!    And, in other big news, Mason, the 7th grader, was selected to be in the Jazz Band.   He plays sax and is very good.......guess he got my sax playing genes as well as my blue eyes.   ( I suddenly lost interest in band in my junior  year when I concentrated on a certain cute quarterback).    

We headed back to Colorado on the 6:30 am flight out of LGA.    (That means getting up really early).   We stopped briefly in Denver to have bagels with Jenna and Alex and Becca and then kept going.   Normally, it is 5+ hour drive with just brief stops.    This day there was an accident and then a long wait as they closed lanes in Glenwood canyon for rock slide remediation.    Glenwood Canyon is one of the most beautiful rides.    But, it was always a bottleneck with just a two lane road on a major cross country route ( I-70 ).    In an engineering feat, they managed to preserve the beauty and majesty despite weaving an interstate highway thru the canyon.   The Colorado River carved out the path and the railroad also shares this route.     They also put in a bike path and rest areas and kept the access to the challenging Hanging Lake trail (We did it about 20+ years ago and I THINK I could do it again but much slower ).    The colors were brilliant but its just very hard to capture in a car.  

Entering the canyon....note the color reflections on the hood. 


Views of the bike path and the river.  





And then it was time for a long cat nap..........

No comments:

Post a Comment