Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Toto, I don't think we're in Colorado anymore…...


Very early Tuesday morning, we headed East from Montrose via a plane with PROPELLERS. !!   I don't like those smaller planes particularly and when I walked outside to the stairs of the plane and didn't see jet engines, I was a bit appalled.   I kept thinking about those stories of props coming apart and slicing someone in half.   Fortunately, we were well forward.     It started up with a roar and a bit of vibration and we slowly lifted into the air.   I wish it would have been daylight so I could see my favorite mountains but by the time we got to the Front Range ( a VERY short flight), the sun was rising and  I could see familiar landmarks.
 
After a 3 hour wait, and a tasty fresh oatmeal bowl with assorted fruit, we took our seats in a much larger jet for the trip to Orlando.         It was a smooth quiet flight.   And then, about 30 min from arrival, they called for a Dr or a nurse…… I waited and hoped  for someone else to ring their call bell.   I sure didn't want to volunteer but finally offered my services.    It was relatively minor, a middle aged woman who became non-reponsive, cold and clammy and very pale ….. I was a bit concerned when I couldn't get a BP and her pulse was very weak but with oxygen, she slowly came around.  There isn't much room to deal with something like this in the back galley.   The Flight Attendants were great.     I'm assuming I will get free travel,( first class of course) for the rest of my traveling days and since I was flying non-rev, I gave them Jon's name and I'm sure he will get a big pay raise .    Actually, all my years of physical assessment skills came into play and looking back, I don't feel like there was anything I missed or could have done differently.     I was just happy it wasn't something like a death or a real young person.    The EMS were very professional and I gave them all the info I had.     I'm sure she is fine but probably a bit embarrassed  by the whole event.  


So we are back in the land of HIGH humidity and HIGH temperatures.    It is like a swamp out there.   I see people on the golf course and I know that we acclimated to it somewhat in previous years but I'm not sure how.  

We're heading back on Friday with the other car, filled with 'stuff ' that we can use out there more than here.     And, in the fall , we'll leave the Jeep in Montrose so we have a car there when we decide to take the propeller plane again.  

It's nice to be back…..the house looks good, TV is resplendent in blooming flowers and everything is very green.    We'll catch up with neighbors and John and Freida and then hurry back ……. The mountains are calling and I must go……. (John Muir said it first )

4 comments:

  1. WOW...that was pretty scary! Glad the lady is ok.
    Enjoy your visit and safe travels back to Montrose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you were there for this poor woman!!! Safe travels!!!
    I don't like prop or any plane flying...just not my cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite an adventure you had on the plane. I'm sure you handled it well, but I would have been nervous wreck. Guess that's why I'm not a nurse.
    Have fun with your travels. How long will the drive take?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have an uneventful trip back. Now that you've settled in at your mountain retreat, which home (not necessarily house) do you like more?

    ReplyDelete