Friday, October 18, 2013

2000+ vs 400+.........square feet

Ahhhh.....there's nothing like home.    

It's has unlimited water for showers, , it doesn't move, it has a comfortable couch for taking a nap on, it doesn't move, it has great neighbors,  there is a large closet full of clothes and shoes, it doesn't move, there's no angst when something won't work, AND, it doesn't move !! ....     It's good to be here....and I also noticed an interesting thing.    After being gone for 5 months and having senior moments now and then,  I've forgotten some of the things we have.  it's sort of like Christmas when you find something you'd forgotten about.    And, I had to relearn how to operate all the gadgets in  the car....and pay attention to where I was going.   I am delighted to enjoy my art books as if they were new and the pictures on the wall and the flowers and greenery outside.    Probably one of the few benefits of aging and memory .   
    
And, it seems we have had an explosion of squatters on the lanai....   We've always had the small and quick geckos, anoles, lizards or whatever you like to call them.    They don't really bother me except when the french doors are open and I wonder if they will consider hanging out in the A/C.     While soaking up the views and nice weather, I happened to think that there was some scurrying going on around me.    I started really looking and found them everywhere and in every size....from tiny ones to large..     I pondered my feelings about this and then pondered the kind ways of moving them out and then pondered the not-so-kind ways of moving them out.   Extermination won over my kind feelings.   My solution was to get the old vacuum with the long hose and to suck them up into the disposable bag.   The first attempt, I managed to eliminate 15 or so...I sort of lost count.  (the bag went in the trash)  Yesterday I managed to get only 4....I put a sandwich bag over the end, made it secure with a rubber band and left the death machine out where I can grab it in a minute.    Today I only saw one but decided to wait until I see more.    I know they will continue to come in and try and raise a family, safe from the birds, but I will be vigilant.     I learned that others use brooms, fly swatters and a spritz of alcohol in a spray bottle to stun them.   

We're back on the golf course.    We've played twice and I should have stopped with the first round.   But so far, the knee is cooperating altho I am not taking a full swing so I'm pretty wimpy out there.    He's back on the pickleball courts everyday and we're both sweating with the higher humidity.   Summer seems to have returned with a vengence.  


Today, on the 9th hole, our ladies foursome noticed a beautiful bald eagle circling above.   We were next to a pond and watched as it glided and swooped and dove .    It was a magnificent bird and so close that you could see details of the feathers and talons and beak.     And, I had no camera and the phone was in the golf cart.   I doubt I could have captured anything with the phone anyhow.   There are many  preserves here and the Audubon society recognizes their efforts for promoting open space and protecting the varied wildlife species.   

And now, I'm going to have a bit of wine in a stemmed  GLASS, not plastic..... because this house doesn't MOVE.  
k




4 comments:

  1. Welcome HOME! Feels good, donut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the comforts of a home that "doesn't move"! The long, really long hot showers, nice dishes, space to spread out and comfy furniture to do it on......I do remember those things! It's been awhile.

    So glad to hear your knee is cooperating and you are enjoying golf and friends. Joe and I still,haven't seen an eagle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are home safe and sound! What a great five months you've had!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just because you're home doesn't mean you shouldn't blog!!!! Get us up to date on your life in Florida!

    ReplyDelete