Friday, June 28, 2013

Still here.......SLC

The heat has found us !    The entire west is HOT but, I have to say, we were out yesterday in high temps and it was lovely in the shade.    And last night, walking back to our car about 9pm, it was still 92 and we thought it a perfect evening.     It's all in the humidity.    Not that I would want to do anything too vigorous in the bright sun (like someone else in this house who is out playing pickle ball..).  
 We've had enjoyable but rather quiet blog days.     We drove into the Wasach Mountains where it is significantly cooler at around 8,000 ft.   Park City is a vibrant Victorian mountain town and definitely impacted by the Olympics in 2002.   We were up there on Sunday and there was a street fair/farmers markets which brought out the families.    In contrast to Denver and the Rocky Mtns., it is only 30 min from PC to Salt Lake.    We drove up several scenic canyons and the hikers and campers are out in force.  

 On Tuesday, we went to the organ rehearsal at the Tabernacle.   It is a must do and see on any trip to SLC.    Temple Square is a lovely respite right in the heart of the city.    The flowers are in their full glory.    I would have liked to sit and sketch a few.    The rehearsal is only 30 min but the accoustically perfect building makes the music so majestic and spiritual.    The organ has over 11,000 pipes.

On Thursday, we met up with Joe and Gay, our new blogging, traveling friends that we met in Moab.    They are in Park City so we connected again at Temple Square, listened to the organ rehearsal and then walked across the street to the City Creek Mall for lunch and to catch up.    Go to their blog and get a much better telling of our get-together and her pictures of the Square.       We hope our paths cross again before we wander back to Florida in the fall.  

On Thursday evenings, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir (all 360 volunteers) opens it's doors for its rehearsal.   Accompanied by a full orchestra and the massive organ in the 21,000 seat Conference Center, it was a real privilege to take in the magnificence of it all.    The summer rehearsals are in the Conference Ctr due to the tourist season, but the rest of the year, they are in the Tabernacle.    They do a 30 min radio show on Sunday morning, going on it's 85th year, and we may wander over for it.

As we left, dusk had set in and the Temple spires just glowed.    This is an iPhone shot and doesn't come close to the actual view


We're in this campground until Monday.   It's very comfortable here and close to most everything.    Paul is playing pickleball most mornings ..... he's finding it more laid back than the very organized program in TV but mixed ages also makes it interesting and sometimes a challenge.    I'm nursing an inflamed SI joint.   I've written about it in the past and I'm trying to keep it manageable and quiet........so no, serious walking, hiking.    I did manage to just kind of wandered into a luscious yarn shop and came out with some Habu linen-paper yarn and pattern.   You knitters will know of what I talk.  

For those of you who have signed up for email blog notices, I've found that there is quite a delay ....about 36-48 hours from publishing to email.  


5 comments:

  1. I love the email notice - one less thing I need to remember! - and my delay seems to be less than 12 hours. JE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous shot of the Temple at dusk.

    We had a great time seeing you again. And hope our paths cross again... Colorado is a must see!

    Enjoy the rest of your stay. Until we meet again...we'll enjoy connecting with you in blogging land!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the things on my bucket list is to hear the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in person. I doubt if I'll ever make it, so I'm glad that you did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool pics (again!)...you're becoming quite the photo journalist, aren't you!!! BTW...I finished Zachery! He's on my blog today!! Check him out...I thanked you for the beads (again) too! You had some 15's in a deep/dark green that were perfect...again, thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I had better check my spam folder as I have not gotten any email alerts.

    ReplyDelete