Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Moving day

Reluctantly, we packed up and headed north.   It is always more of a process when we've been sitting for awhile .....or when you have a shiny new MH and a departure check list as long as your arm.   (mostly, because we can't remember our names at times so we have to write EVERYTHING down).

But, before we could really get out of town, we headed over to the truck scales to get the coach weighed.  It should have been done when we were at Lazydays but apparently, no scales around.       Now, some of you might think like I once did...that since this thing has so much storage in in, you can just take everything you own and everyone you know.......NOT !   There are very definite limits on the axles and besides adhering to load limits, it also needs to be balanced...(much like an airplane which I also know nothing about).   But fortunately I've been hanging around with  the right guy for almost 50 years (but that's  another story:)....and he does treat this thing like an airplane in many respects.  
I should have grabbed a pic of the weighing event but I was DRIVING it back and forth so was kinda busy.....   anyhow, we apparently are well balanced and have tons more room for anything I want to buy !!!
 The drive was pretty, NC and Tennessee are mountainous and the day was nice and clear.     Freida, we waved at Kingsport as we lumbered by....
 These pics were with my iPhone and I'm always surprised that it stops action so well and is rarely blurry.  

I did manage to get behind the wheel and drive.   It is very smooth and feels very heavy.   I am very aware that my ability to stop quickly is severely altered so we keep well back from the pack and my co-pilot is my 2nd pair of eyes.    As usual when I drive, we hit rush hour traffic, construction and the dreaded heavy rain.  
 This storm appeared quickly on the horizon and it was torrential.   Luckily, the highway was a bit wider on the shoulders and in the blinding rain and wind, I was able to pull completely over to wait it out.  
Most everyone else pulled over as well and this pic was taken well after the worst of it.   The wind was fierce with the trees bending over and the highway littered with debris.    I gave up driving after this nerve-racking event and retired to my corner and my knitting.    For those of you with good eyes and are wondering about the blue tape in the left corner......that is a guide we put on the windshield to line up with the center line so we stay centered in the driving lane.    It is tempting to shift more to the right in these things so this keeps me properly positioned.    
We are currently Shenandoah Valley Campground in Virginia.    It is quite the place but I think we are the only large MH in here.    It is heavily treed with 5th wheels and trailers and lots of families.    A river is along the perimeter and tubing seems to be the favorite pastime.....it is slow and shallow.    It looks like a fun and busy place for active families.    But, we'll  continue our trek north today...into the heat wave.      Talk later..........

2 comments:

  1. Crank up the generator; you're going to need the extra help from the house A/Cs today ... and tomorrow ... and maybe the next day, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue,
    I tried to send you an email, but it kept coming back saying "invalid address" Have you changed your email?

    Anyway, I am really enjoying your travelogue. I applaud you for driving that bus, I can't imagine my every doing it, even on a nice day. You seem to pick the worst weather for coming to CT. It had been delightfully cool until today. Brace for the heat!

    About the ballet, yes they are still very thin,especially their arms, but I'm sure they are very fit and strong or they wouldn't be able to do what they do.

    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete