Saturday, December 3, 2011

First impressions.....

is that flying in First Class is better than spending 8 hours in Coach seating......Not that most of us have a choice and far be it for me to spend that kind of money for a comfortable chair high in the sky. But, when the stars align and there are empty seats up front, we are sure glad that we got to partake. Somehow, dining well, drinking well and then curling up with a comfy blanket and pillow in a bed-like situation makes those hours just zip by. I do not particularly like flying altho it is getting easier the more I do it......but First Class somehow eases the anxieties just a bit.

As we came over the Pyrenees, bordering Spain and France, the sun was up and the views were spectacular. We descended quickly over hilly green country. The airport is shiny new and quite vacant. We were met promptly by a nice young man who has relatives in Orlando.

Our apartment is in the Port Vell area, along the harbor. This is our view from the 3rd floor balcony. After a much needed siesta and no idea what time it was in our brain, we headed out to walk along the marina. The Saturday crowds were out along with street vendors and musicians. Our driver said we were in an excellent location. We were met by the apt. manager (formerly from Long Island) who issued dire warnings about the pick pockets and said we should not carry anything in a purse or bag that is visible. Well, on our stroll later, everyone had a bag, backpack, messenger bag, large designer type purses....many on a cross body type strap but many just dangling off the shoulder. I took my bag and with its double straps , I was able to wrap one around my waist and one cross body so I feel secure....plus, we carry nothing with us except guide books, maps, water and my camera....it is insured and I'm not going to worry. Money and credit card goes in an inside pocket...no wallets. The apt is quite spacious with two bathrooms, very comfortable beds (twins together) and fast wifi. As the sun set and it got cooler, we stopped along the marina for
a dinner outside. I ordered the sole and was taken aback when an entire fish arrived....but the waiter deftly deboned and beheaded it and it soon looked like something from the seafood section of Publix. But very fresh and light and just what I needed. Paul , of course, had the salmon which he said was very good.
We enjoyed the promanade as we ate.....most everyone, young and old, is slim. Everyone, men and women, wear scarves (yes, Rian, I wore mine also and packed several). A lot of smokers, in and out of the restaurant (maybe just on the outside, hopefully). A large, large dog was also enjoying the dining. Dinner was about $70 without wine or dessert....one beer only. We did not order bread, but it came along with olives and little pickled onions and we were charged for it. It was good so guess we won't complain.
For those of you texters out there.....with the new iPhone upgrade, apparently we can text while on wifi. Not terribly convenient if one is out and about but if in a wifi setting , it works just fine while all the data is off and the plane is in airplane mode. We DO NOT want to get charged for data while in Europe.
Anyway, I did not mean to go on and on....pictures tomorrow or when I get around to it.....but first I have to take some.

1 comment:

  1. First class!! You are so lucky. I would fly to Australia if I could go first class, but not for $20,000 extra. I don't think that's much of an exaggeration, either. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your adventures. I don't remember food being that expensive, but then we were on a tour and didn't eat much on our own.

    ReplyDelete