Saturday, August 14, 2010

Savannah

We had been here many many years ago....when we were just kids, escaping from our kids on our anniversary. It was a brief stay but I remembered the beauty of the downtown area and the squares. Savannah has been through a bit of changes since we were there. The squares, (there are 22) seem a bit ratty altho I did not see any homeless in the ones we saw. The mighty oaks are massive and still dripping with Spanish moss. There are statues and fountains and plaques to read and commemorative rocks and it is a nice respite from the heat of the day. I remember the lovely row houses and larger mansions.....well, now they are interspersed with large ugly without character buildings for important functions like offices and parking garages. They demolished the lovely homes to make way for progress. An historical society was formed
and now it is the largest historical district in the country. Many of the homes have been refurbished to their grandeur.
We did a lovely trolley tour around the district. I took a few pictures but it is hard to capture the settings.
Jeff, this is the police dept and their fleet of cars in front. And you thought your dept had budget issues !
This lovely doll house is the oldest house in Savannah...I missed the date.
And this is the oldest building, currently a bar.
Savannah was lovely in areas but I think Charleston has a more genteel quality.
We stayed in an uncrowded State Park nearby. The mighty oaks dominated altho the 'chiggers' made us avoid being outside. (The Ranger warned us about them and then I had to google chiggers to find out what they were.......I was glad I hadn't planned to hike).
We are currently in the coooooool mountains of North Carolina. It is heavenly. Pictures at 11......or sometime when I get around to it.

1 comment:

  1. Putting Charleston on my list. Hope you're having a good trip!

    ReplyDelete