Friday, May 28, 2010

Golf and more golf

Once I thought I could play golf. Paul didn't play as much as I did because he worked so that I had the financial support to spend my afternoons on the lovely course. Of course, I worked also but not enough to support my various habits. Then we moved away from my golf and then life got in the way and then I played no golf.

Then, we moved to the golf capital of the WORLD. Populated by old people who were good golfers, those who used to be golfers, those who had never been a golfer and those who could care less about being a golfer. We started playing again, we took a few lessons, we bought some clubs, we spent time at the driving range (not enough), one of us bought some cute golf clothes and we played a lot of golf. We improved and we had fun. But of course, if you are a golfer, you never, ever feel like your game is good enough. So what to do...................??
We are back to square one and have started over with new lessons. A new golf school has opened up, one not on Village property. The owner has a long and impressive resume in the golf world. AND, he grew up just down the road from us in Ct. He has worked with Tom Kite and was Nancy Lopez's swing coach. He has another PGA instructor with him, also well credentialed. We attended a free seminar for 90 min the other day and came away quite impressed and did what they wanted us to do after giving us something for free.....we signed up for a lesson. We had the lesson yesterday.
It was simple and basic and understandable and doable. He didn't make us feel stupid or hopeless. He doesn't want us to come back until we've mastered the the first step .......I think we can do this. I have hope.
And then on the course, we saw this........do you think its a sign ????



1 comment:

  1. YES! It's a sign! I figure if the pros need to work with swing coaches, it's good enough for the rest of us.

    The thing about golf is, you have to play a long time in order to improve to the point where you have the confidence to feel like you're "pretty good." You have to spend the time in the trenches and earn the experience. And you have to take lessons.

    It's a humbling game, isn't it. But it sure is fun. And the gooder you get the funner it is.

    Play on, my friend. Report back. I'd love to hear more about your game.

    ReplyDelete