Saturday, April 10, 2010

April in Florida

It was a great party. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures but my neighbor did.....but it's not clickable so all you can see is that we had some great looking friends and they are really tiny.....and yes, they all had husbands but they weren't as well dressed. The event was to thank everyone for putting up with the trucks and the noise and the dust during the 4 month construction of the pool , spa and lanai. We have great neighbors. No one has noisy annoying kids, no barking dogs, no junky cars in the driveway or in the backyard and no late night rowdy gatherings.....except for this one and they were all invited. I found that 20 people about fills up the new space but wasn't crowded. We need to do it more often.

Jeff decided that the weather in Florida is better than Washington so he came south for a week. He arrived just in time to be the handsome bartender.

We went to Costco to shop for the party. Aside from food, I found these gorgeous orchids. Only $19 and huge. I am on an orchid kick lately and despite my long standing green thumb, I have read up on these unique plants and they sound like easy care. I have 2 smaller ones and have stayed with the easier varieties. I'm also trying a bird of paradise on the lanai. Pictures if I ever get a bloom.
The weather has finally turned into a Florida postcard and commercial . Low 80's, NO HUMIDITY, light breezes. It is perfect. I am using the pool most days and finding it a great cool down after a long brisk walk. And also after a bad round of golf with a cold drink.

I'm enjoying listening to "The Help" on my iPhone via iTunes. I started the book but heard it was much better in audio due to the southern accents and ethnic dialects. It is a good listen. Also, I downloaded the Kindle app on to the phone and read a book on it. Once I got used to the small screen, I didn't even notice how I was reading it. And I could just pick it up anywhere , anytime. Last year we ordered a Kindle for my birthday but sent it back. I would like to consider one again, when they get a bit more advanced. Maybe the iPad will be what I'm looking for but I will wait until the next generation I think and when it has 3G on it instead of just WiFi.

I've developed some allergies to the extremely high pollens and despite Clariten , I'm pretty uncomfortable. It hasn't stopped me from playing golf or getting out and about. But laying low and watching the Masters will be my activity of choice this weekend.

4 comments:

  1. We take Zyrtec for our seasonal allergies, we get it at Costco for cheap cheap cheap. It's a generic--Allertec I think it's called. Green & white plastic jar. Works better than Claritin for us.

    It's cold here now so I will be watching the Masters this weekend too. Phil is burnin 'em up today!

    I had an orchid once, I didn't kill it (it does have a shelf life) so it must be easy to take care of. They sure are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been so tempted by the orchids at Costco. Yours is gorgeous. I don't recall our choices being so full and lovely. Don't throw it out after it blooms. It might bloom again. Several of mine have sent up a new flower shoot. And sometimes you can get the same stalk to send out new blooms by not cutting it all the way back. That's worked for me too.
    I own way too many orchid plants, several which I have no hope of reblooming because they are the persnickety kind. But I love them anyway. Just don't drown them. I don't water mine nearly as often as they suggest and a little food will encourage them to bloom again.
    Sounds like your party was fun. What a nice thing for you to do for your neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You forgot handsome and single!

    Bartender Jeff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never even try to get my orchids to bloom again, not having the room in this house. I like the label that come on one that said, "When it's through blooming, throw it away. We'll grow more." Since they are now so affordable, that's what I do. Yours is a beauty and HUGE!
    It looks like you had a fun party and I'm so glad that the weather has improved. My friend just came back with a gorgeous tan. But then it's quite lovely here now with all the flowering trees in bloom.

    ReplyDelete