Friday, February 26, 2010

Challenges

Recently, I've been giving myself brain strain by learning how to play Mah-jongg. It is very popular down here and I have resisted getting involved.....for no good reason except I am busy enough with other retirement activities. And because it doesn't seem to be a couple thing, at least in our neighborhood. Originally conceived in China and played by men, it then became very popular with Jewish women.....and not being either Chinese, a man or Jewish (at least in this life) , it wasn't on my bucket list.
But, one of our neighbors offered to teach a group and I was encouraged to join in. Well, it is really fun and challenging and filled with tradition and etiquette. It reminds me of various card games and rummikube, only very different... if that makes sense. A neighborhood group meets on Thursday night at one of the nearby Rec centers and I'll join in once I think I won't embarrass myself.

Paul's been busy this month doing his instructional work in the simulators in Miami. If he had hoped to find warmer weather down there, he wasn't very successful. The days and nights continue cool and we have been near freezing a couple of times in the past week. It is just so unusual. I feel bad for people who have spent good money on a Florida vacation with hopes of getting sunburned.

Jenna has had her hands full these past couple of weeks. As Mike travels around the world and the country, she has turned into an orthopedic nurse/mother.

Yes, that is a picture of Lizzie and Alex, each wearing a full length cast on their fractured arms. Alex , as mentioned previously, from lacrosse, and Lizzie from a wet floor at school. Alex broke the other arm last summer in the same sport and I remember when he was about 6 or so, he wore casts on his arms at least twice, once from falling off the bunk bed and the other from the trampoline. We thought he'd outgrown all that.

3 comments:

  1. Stopped by to feed the fish and saw your post about Mah-jongg. I would love to learn. Some day maybe.
    We've had six young men here for a 10 day retreat. We've cooked for a million (or so it seems) and now I'm doing l..a..u..n..d..r..y. I've put it off a bit because we were on generator power for 3 days. Lots of snow - about 30 inches and still snowing on and off. Winter has finally arrived... all at once!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learned Mah-jong as a child - actually own an antique bamboo and ivory set. I think the game has changed over the years - have to get a set hand, right?
    We were in West Palm last weekend for a funeral - not very warm. Hope FL gets winter out of its system this year so we don't get blamed for the cold next year!!
    Best to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mah-jongg is popular here too. The ladies play in the afternoon, and take turns at their houses, and do a little luncheon. I joined a group and learned to play (a little) but collecting and matching shapes holds no interest for me. I like to play bridge, but few people in my little community play, and I'm not good enough to go to a ACBL sanctioned duplicate bridge session.

    We're freezing here in Calif too. And wet. So much for global warming, although, depending on your political bent, you might think this is proof positive.

    ReplyDelete