Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Join us on our morning walk





It dawned a beautiful morning. Perfect for a scheduled walk with
Sonja. We usually walk about 45 min to an hour around our end of TV but we decided to make more of an adventure of it, with rewards at the end for our efforts. We met at the corner of Inner Circle and Inner Circle (because we live on a circle !!) at 7:30. Sonja always wears shorts and a teeshirt, never a jacket or pants. I , on the otherhand, come prepared for the chilly 60+ degree morning with a sweater. But I promptly sweat it off.


We pass the golf course behind our house, still dewy from the night's sprinklers. If you can hit straight off the tee, you don't have to deal with these daunting moguls.
We come to a "hill", Florida style. And view the sea of roofs.
But there are other things to notice along the way. This is an old black cemetery, here long before TV was even a thought. Fortunately, it has been preserved and maintained. It sits in the middle of a Village and most people have no idea what is behind the hedges.



There are flowers everywhere and it seems strange to see petunias in full bloom this time of year. The coleus have about seen their peak but I love the masses of color.




Getting nearer the town center, we need to cross the main road via one of the many tunnels.



The next 2 pictures off of my phone are out of sequence but for what ever reason, I can't move them . Anyhow, one of the many APPS on my iPhone (have I mentioned what I think of this amazing device ?? ) is called Run Keeper. It keeps track of your movements , whether walking, riding , driving, swimming etc by GPS. It then gives out a summary and a map of your trip. I use the free APP and it has some serious limitations but I'm not ready to pay for the better version.





We started at the green pin and ended at the red.





This was our destination. Lake Sumter Landing is built to resemble an early- century Key West type village.



And this was our" final destination", to quote the redundant announcement by flight attendants.


Breakfast outside at The Veranda. I forgot to take a picture of this 'healthy' meal before I dove in.



And, I don't care if it is mid-November, it's still too early for Christmas trees.
And then we wandered over to do some window shopping at the new bathing suit/tropical wear shop and found it to be open. It had some lovely things and I became fond of a bright "Jams" brand shirt. I glanced at the price (sans glasses ) and thought it a bargain at $35. When the clerk suggested that I pay $101 instead, I decided it wasn't to my liking after all. And reminded myself that 95 looks like 35 without glasses and that I should bring them when shopping.
We did not walk back home. Another hour hike back might have necessitated more eating.

3 comments:

  1. How nice to be invited along. I could almost remember what it's like to be in shorts and a tee shirt.
    I hope to get an iPhone next year. We're waiting until Roger's contract is up. I love your app. I'm afraid I've started a list of apps I want to get. Let's see, there's the star gazing app...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those moguls are indeed daunting. I gotta get one of those iPhones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmm. Eggs Benedict, my favorite indulgence when I stay at a nice hotel. You make the iPhone sound very tempting, but I'm not giving in.

    Thanks for sharing your walk.

    ReplyDelete