Friday, December 7, 2007

LSV, block party and broccoli

Picture Alert: There are none in this blog. For those of you who only look at the pictures, tune in another day.

Today, I managed to navigate from the house to the grocery store by myself , in the golf cart...or LSV as they are sometimes referred to around here (low speed vehicle). I had to go approximately 1-1.5 miles via the transportation trail (golf cart path, jogging path, bike path, walking path). I had to find the correct tunnels that go under the main roads and avoid accidently ending up on a road. There is a reported $170 fine for going where you shouldn't go, like main roads. Well, I did Ok, got there and only had to ask for directions once. Leaving , I backed out of the parking space, (2 LSV fit in one space) and when I tried to go forward, it wouldn't go. There I was , stuck in the middle of the driving lane . Some grumpy guy (they are certainly an anomaly down here) told me I had to move it out of the way and then got in his car. I got out and started to push it and he must have rethought his behavior, and came over and pushed it and then said, " I hope you have a cell phone so you can call for help" and got in his car and left. So I did but then suddenly, it decided to drive forward. This golf car came with the rental and is a gas model. Not sure of the advantage but we are not impressed with the louder noise and the gas fumes.....and the erratic behavior.

Tonight we were invited to attend a Society Hill Circle block party. There are 63 homes on the street and I would say that maybe 40 attended. We met a great number of people and they were extremely friendly and inviting to a couple of renters. At first I was suspicious, thinking that Deb, the owner of this house, had called everyone and said "Be nice to them, and maybe they'll buy my house!" But I think it was all very genuine. One side of the street brought salads and the other dessert. And it was BYOB. We had a great time and I have to say, that it would be very easy to just live here. There are 5 houses for sale. We met people who are still working, a very nice lady from Finland, a retired United pilot, many golfers and the ages varied from younger (but not by much) and somewhat older.

Here's the recipe for the Broccoli Salad that I brought. I found it on foodnetwork.com and it is a Paula Deen creation. Her food is loaded with fat and high calories but this one was easy to modify to something healthier.

A couple bunches of broccoli. I used 2 big bunches, cut into smaller pieces. I blanched them for about 1 minute (no longer) and immediately dropped them into ice cubes to cool down. Then drain thoroughly.

Chop 1/2 red onion

Cube 8 ounces of sharp cheddar (small cubes, could use shredded)

Chopped pecans......a handful or so

6-8 slices of cooked bacon, crumbled

cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half......about a cup or so. I drained them on a paper towel to cut down on any excess liquid

Dressing. 1 cup mayonaise ... I used Smart Balance mayo which is lighter

2 tbsp white vinegar

2 tbsp Splenda or sugar

Mix mayo, sugar and vinegar well and pour over other ingredients....mix well

this can be modified many ways.....add peas, chicken, grapes instead of tomatoes etc........
It was REALLY, REALLY good and disappeared in a flash. I was hoping there would be leftovers.

It's very hard to imagine that it is cold somewhere else. Tonight we stood out in shirt sleeves and it was lovely. The afternoons are hot if you are standing still in the sun but mostly there is a pleasant breeze. I'm finding that sunscreen is a necessity tho. I burned yesterday..........yes , I feel your sympathy.
You too can enjoy it.......the guest rooms are waiting.

1 comment:

  1. Really enjoy the blog - brought in the support staff to watch the elves dance! Jan e

    ReplyDelete