Sunday, May 19, 2024

May....

To the young, life at 81 might not seem that exciting or enviable.   But to the 81 year old, life is very good and might even be exciting now and then........... 

Love the color of these tulips which helped me celebrate my day last month.  

 


It's been a colorful spring with favorite birds returning.   I've got the Merlin app now so I can identify those chirps and trills and calls.   Mostly, we have finches and sparrows and red wing blackbirds.   The oranges are out waiting for the Orioles.    We see the fascinating kingfisher hovering above the steam before his steep dive to capture his lunch.    And we've always had an old weather-beaten heron that has been here as long as we have. But then, 


this new colorful heron dropped by.   He is quite magnificent.   

One day, while being lazy on the patio, I noticed a large bird heading toward the pond and extend his talons and swoop low.   He came up empty taloned but I was shocked to see that it was an eagle.   I have never seen one around here.   They are an hour or so away near the mountains but this was a great surprise.   

In years past, spring meant many baby geese and ducks on the golf course.    I think bird flu in the past years has really decimated them.   We have one Mallard family of 5 cute ducks and a geese family of 4 little ones.   That's all I've seen.   

Somehow, we ended up with a 60 year old son.   I remember that day vividly and many of his milestones and now he is a grandfather !    All the kids came to surprise him and Ashlee and Victor helped with the blowing out of all 60 candles.  It was a great weekend.     And yes, that table top is covered in pennies.  

And, as I write this,  son #2,  Jeff, celebrates 58 years young.   He is  also a grandfather and a talented golfer.   Those were busy years with 2 very active boys.  




I've been increasing my walking distance in prep for a fun event next weekend with Becca.  Stay tuned.   Great views and interesting audio books make for good walks.   
 


We came home from Mike's birthday gathering with a new toy.   I know nothing about 3-D printers but Mike and Jenna are so creative and they have made amazing things.   I wish I had taken some pictures.   She made a tower for hydroponic gardening and has about 8 plants happily thriving.   Ours is humming away making things that are functional....currently these cute clamps.   Stay tuned....


Meanwhile, this is the latest off the drawing board.   This is Kismet, Lizzie's cat.   She was fun to capture with all the bright colors.    I have finished another dog but it is not ready for public viewing yet.  AND, always waiting in the wings are the 2 black curly haired  dogs, Aspen and Tellie.   I have attempted them but I need more practice and confidence.   


I am still quite surprised that I have taken this sharp turn into animal drawings.   But it seemed to come quite naturally once I got the basics down.   If anyone out there among my hundreds of viewers is interested in learning to draw animals, flowers or people,   I highly recommend Bonny Snowden Academy.   She is on YouTube  and has her own teaching website.   She is the best I have ever used.     I started on my own, grew frustrated and sought out various teachers on line thru their Patreon pages but no one is quite like Bonny.  Plus, I think anyone with a British accent seems smart and appealing.  

My golf has improved.   I have no idea why.   Maybe I've relaxed more as I'm not playing the high pressured league.   I'm trying the 9 hole league group since the 18 hole group is getting younger and better and altho they are very nice, it can be intimidating.   I'm also going back to walking 9 holes and enjoying the scenery while I play.   

Until next time.......... 



 

1 comment:

  1. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. I hope it's a perfect day in Boulder. Good Luck! It looks like spring has sprung by you but here in Summit it continues to snow - snowed overnight with gusty winds today. By the end of May, I'm really sick of the snow. The drawing of Kismet again shows such personality. I bet Lizzie is thrilled. Sounds like you're still having fun! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete