Saturday, March 6, 2021

Arizona

We finally packed up the motorhome and headed south 2 weeks ago.    After a couple days we ended up near Camp Verde, about 2 hours from Phoenix.    The RV resort is nice and along the Verde River but also near enough to I 17 to hear the trucks.     This is a higher elevation and so no saguaro or other cactus.   Mostly scrubby brush, cottonwoods and oak trees.    We are about 30min from Sedona.   


The biggest change we've noticed is the amazing number of families.   There are kids of all ages.   They are on their bikes, their scooters, at the pool and walking their dogs.    They are all very well mannered and seem happy to be living a nomadic lifestyle while still in school.    For a change, I think the old people normally camped for the winter down here are no longer the majority.    

Weather has been near freezing in the morning and warming up to mid 70's.   We've had rain and strong winds and Prescott (50 min away ) had snow.    It is perfect for biking and walking.   The park is hilly and we get good workouts.     


It is such a relief to be vaccinated and to be able to be out and about without anxiety.    We met   Mike and Jenna who were visiting  Alex in Scottsdale.   We were able to hug and laugh and have a great lunch outside.   But forgot to take pictures.....

Another day, we drove over to Wickenburg Ranch where we spent last winter.    Lots of building and busyness over there as in all of AZ.     We sat outside for lunch and this road runner pestered us for a handout.   They are quite striking up close.   



 We met 2 couples at the pickleball courts yesterday.    They  invited us to play with them.     They had their MAGA hats on so I managed to bring up vaccinations with one of them.    She was very nice and said she was an anti-vaxxer.   I also got the idea that they didn't wear masks as she said they had been asked to leave the courts at another resort when they didn't wear masks.     She gave no explanation for her stance on these issues and I didn't ask.   But I would loved to have had a more in-depth conversation..... just to try and understand.   

I also visited my favorite yarn shop when we were in Wickenburg.    Leslie is near my age and just a lovely person.    When I walked in, masked, she was unmasked and said I didn't need to wear one if I didn't want.   I kept mine on but told her I was vaccinated.     She said she was "in another's hands" and had traveled and kept the shop open and continues to give lessons and she wasn't concerned.     AZ has opened up restaurants and such to full capacity (while still maintaining social distancing...not sure how you do that) and still requires masks.   

I've changed my reading/listening focus from British history to ancient stories.   "A Thousand Ships" is the stories of the women of the Trojan war.    Very good.    I also read "Four Winds", Kristin Hannah's latest about the Dust Bowl.... sad and depressing.    And still savoring "Braiding Sweetgrass".    Plus a bit of Mary Oliver.....  

And the sock knitting continues............ 





4 comments:

  1. Hard to understand the non-vaxxers, but you’ll never change their minds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be interesting to have a discussion with non-mask wearers..we both had our two shots but still wear and will continue to wear our masks. We actually ate inside a restaurant for the first time since March 2nd 2020!!!! Was so good to be waited on and not have to clean up or prep foods! ENJOY AZ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the roadrunner photo! I'll be wearing a mask even after the vaccine - I'm so accustomed to it now that it really doesn't bother me. It will be nice to move around more freely, and I'm certainly excited to see my grandchildren again.Take care and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to know you are out of the snow - and boy does it look like it is snowing! We have both been shot, twice. I had such an amazing feeling afterwards - freedom! We still wear our masks and we are still cautious about going out, but have gone to more local outside activities and I've actually played Mahjong with tiles (instead of online). Last week I drove an Interstate Airstream to Houston (from Ft Myers). We bought it in Feb thinking it would be a great way to get to CA safely. We then realized that even if we made it to CA, we wouldn't be able to do a lot there - as restrictions were even tighter. We also realized that that particular Class B was just too small. We sold it and I "delivered" it - meeting the new owner half-way. We plan to try it again, this time with an Airstream Atlas, leaving in April. (We sold our Class A). Glad to hear you are playing pickleball!

    ReplyDelete