Thursday, June 18, 2015

A good walk...unspoiled..........


 If it's Wednesday, it's a choice between MahJong  at the Club or out in the grandeur of nature on a hike.    I chose the hike.    Paul chose neither and played PB.

The plan was to do the Keystone Gorge outside of Telluride.   Because of the melting snow and afternoon heavy rains, the San Miguel River was wild and loud and angry and impressive.    The trail follows the river, often
very close to the deafening turbulence.

We were going downhill but it was no easy feat.    The trail was narrow and rocky and eroding in areas so that it was only wide enough for our shoes and our poles.   Sometimes, we were at the river's edge.   Other times found us high up teetering on a narrow shelf.   It was not always for the faint of heart but I felt fairly secure and steady.
This boulder field was a challenge and was long and tedious.   A misstep would have been painful.


After about an hour + , we finally reached the sturdy bridge  and 


crossed over to begin the ascent up to a mining road and a return to our cars.   The climb up was STEEP and breathtaking....literally.     Frequent stops for respiratory therapy were needed.   This was not an easy hike, despite what the trail description said.    It was even recommended for families !   No way would I take kids on this, at least not in the spring with the high dangerous waters.   But it was exhilarating and challenging and a good days walk.     (Disclaimer:    I take all my pictures with the iPhone 6 Plus.   I can't deal with a big camera when I'm out and about (unless we are driving) and although I don't get decent flower pics, I'm fairly pleased with the rest....considering it doesn't weigh anything.)




I've been trying to broaden my repertoire of recipes.    There are unending sources of plant based inspired recipes and I've tried a few....some OK, some tossed and inedible and then, there's the occasional winner.     This is the making of a delicious stir-fry.    We served it over rice noodles but brown rice would have been equally tasty.    The meat-like strips are known as soy curls.   I just recently heard about them.    They are loaded with protein and made with just soy....nothing else.    They come dry and you reconstitute them in liquid.   I used soy sauce, made a nice stir fry sauce and it tasted like chicken.....really !!   Would be great as tacos, or in spaghetti or as pulled pork which apparently is the most popular use.    I don't think most people could tell that it wasn't meat.    I don't normally try and duplicate any meat product.     We just eat our whole food unprocessed starches, veggies and greens and are very happy.    But this was a good find.  

And speaking of cooking.............awhile back, we gave Jeff and Jennifer a couple of nice sharp Wusthof knives.    So now I feel a bit guilty and maybe a little responsible for this nasty slice that Jenn acquired ...... cutting a piece of MEAT !!   See, we told you that meat wasn't good for you!!   She'll be away from golf for awhile but hopefully, nothing permanent.    Heal fast Jenn.   
  

And, guess who came to Colorado today !!     Can't wait to see them in Grand Junction on Sunday.   


3 comments:

  1. Oh, life is just grand! You wore me out with that hike, tho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never could have done that hike, but your pix are stunning as usual. I never use my camera anymore and with the iPhone 6 they are even better. I still have my 5S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last picture of the swiftly flowing river was awesome! Nice hike Sue!

    ReplyDelete