Wednesday, October 15, 2014

If it's Wednesday….

 It must be hiking day…..

Today, the trek of choice was up to the Dallas Divide area out of Ridgeway and turning on to Last Dollar Road.     This route crosses the enormous and beautiful Ralph Lauren Ranch,  the Double RL which is carved into the log over the road.  The ranch is over 16,000 acres and is a working cattle ranch.

The road narrowed and became rough….. There was a traffic jam ahead of hunters coming down the road so Bud walked down to give us a heads up…..he opted for a ride back up.   

The hunters made it very clear that we were trespassing on their territory.     One guy said didn't we know that it was elk season and there were men with guns in the woods.    He advised us to wear the neon orange vests…which some of us had.    I was a bit wary about wandering about in the woods ….. granted, I probably  don't look like an  elk but I also know that some of them have lousy eyesight and a strong urge to bring home a rack of antlers.

We parked in a lovely meadow….. in sight of hunter's campsites and the magnificent peaks.    This trail was voted the most beautiful in 2012 for this area.    

Paul and Jessica.     I didn't take my camera and I'm using the iPhone….resulting in blurry shots and images that needed to be lightened when I could …. but you get the idea.  



The trail  was  very pretty….like walking on gold coins.    Altho rated "easy-moderate", most of us felt it was either very steep going up or very slippery and steep going down.    We were above 9000 ft and went between 4-5 miles.     We were doing some serious breathing on the very long ups and watching our footing very closely on the downs due to hidden rocks under the leaves.    Plus we had some serious stream crossings.       But, it was probably my favorite hike so far.    The views were always front and center.    The aspen's smell is sweet and the color contrasts so sharply with the blue spruce.



A rare flat area in the aspen grove…..


 I'm always impressed with our old bodies and how well they respond to challenges…..and believe me, this hike was a challenge….. and how quickly we recover.   We came home with a feeling of accomplishment and good fatigue…. and a few achy parts.    I will miss these outings.    It has been a privilege to walk these trails and breathe the clear air and hear and see the birds and know that the beasts of the forests are watching ….. and waiting for us to leave.      

 



2 comments:

  1. Oh Sue...what a lovely hike! I will definitely want to try this one next July even though I know the aspens and peaks won't look quite the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hiking vicariously with you. Outstanding photos as always. Those golden coins in the path are stunning.

    ReplyDelete