Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Good days........

We are camped among the birds here at Cherry Creek State Park.   This is a lovely park, a high prairie setting with views of the magnificent mountains to the west and downtown Denver nearby.    The cottonwood trees are home to assorted birds, none of which I can identify.   I need to get the bird book over at the registration office so I sound intelligent.    The cottonwoods bring back strong memories of growing up in ND.   They have a very distinctive smell and it just propels me back to wandering the hills and wading in the streams.   Looking back, as young kids, we let our imaginations run wild in the hills, found arrowheads near the streams and came home dirty and worn out.   I don't remember my mother ever wondering where we were......it was just the playtime of kids back then and no one thought to worry unless we fell out of the high trees we nimbly climbed.   I never wore shoes (still prefer not to) and would often come back home to have my mother pick the glass out of my soles.    How I hated that and would wail and try and get her to stop.    The neighbors never questioned the sounds of trauma as they were doing the same to their kids.     But enough of the tales of old......


 I do know that this is the raucous and noisy magpie.   They seem to be the dominant bird around here and are very distinctive with the black and white markings....more prominent when they fly....but despite being patient, I could only get this non-impressive picture.  
 This bird was fleeting and pretty ....whatever it is.    
 On Saturday, we met Mike and group and the tricked out Rubicon.   After  wandering a farmer's market and choosing our breakfast from too many choices, we headed for the hills.  
 We didn't spend any time in Golden, but it is my favorite small town anywhere.    We lived there briefly in the '90's and I would go back in a minute.  
 Clear Creek Canyon is spectacular but photos thru the windshield don't do it justice.

We followed Peak to Peak highway to Boulder and Pearl Street.    We've spent many good times there and altho the stores change a bit, the flavor doesn't.   We highly recommend Boulder Book Store.
We are enjoying the Jeep.    With the top partially off, it's as close to a convertible as I'll ever have.   It sits high above traffic and is a comfortable ride.   We plan to test it's back road capabilities the end of July when we join up with the Mile High Jeep Club's rally up in Leadville where they find trails to conquer and vendors will gladly modify you and the Jeep.  






2 comments:

  1. Hey there! I was in Golden, Co. several, several years ago! It's a great 'little' town!!! Just catching up with you and your life!!! Had tornado's land here (7 actually!)...one demolished a house totally...so sad....take care!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a male Bullock's Oriole. We get them at our hummingbird feeder from time to time. Love that shade of yellow.

    ReplyDelete