Wednesday, August 22, 2012

UH OH.......

As I hurried out of the MH door, I was laden down with 2 small bags of recyclables, a bag of trash and  my purse and wearing my ever - fashionable Tom's shoes with the slippery soles.    The next thing I knew I was vaulted thru the air and landed very unladylike on my hip and the trash.........cushioned by nice  soft grass.     The pain was immediate and I braced myself for it to get worse......Paul came to my rescue as did a nice gentleman who happened to be driving by and was a DOCTOR !!.......   After extricating myself from the trash, he did a quick exam and declared nothing broken.   (Thinking back on it, he could have just been a nice pervert who wanted to touch my legs.....)   Anyway, I felt extremely lucky and gathered myself together and made an effort to stand.......I could do that but when I went to take a step, the knee buckled and the pain came back.    

That part of New Brunswick is cute but lacking in medical resources so we made the decision to get on the road and drive to Bangor (3 hours down the road).       Fortunately, I was not in a lot of pain and by hopping, I could get to the bathroom.  (I'm proud that I could actually hop on one leg at this age.)'  I also consulted with my personal Ob/Gyn physician who seemed to know a lot about orthopedic injuries and her opinion matched the advice I got later.......Thanks Marybeth.  !!

The border was quick, they came on board and took 4 grape tomatoes and a bundle of wood from the car.....   Diane and Dean had to give up 2 avocados and 2.5 limes.   It all seems very arbitrary.   As we were being relieved of our little bundle of wood, a huge lumber truck full of logs was going thru !

We are at the Pumpkin Patch CG near Bangor.....very very nice and they recommended a local urgent care associated with Eastern Maine Medical Center.    After waiting almost an hour, they came thru with juice, ginger ale or water in the waiting room !!   Very nice customer service I would say.......The clinician (they don't identify them except by that title and their first names but I saw the board and know that there was a Dr, a nurse practitioner and a PA on duty), came in wearing jeans, suspenders, a long beard and about 60 years.......and he was superb ( He was the NP)......after a very thorough exam and  X-Ray of my lt. hip and knee,  I was educated on a bad strain to my medial collateral ligament.......that rubberband like thing on the inside of my knee.     It is a common injury in skiers, football players and grandmothers.  
It looks like I will be on crutches for about 4-5 days with only toe touching and then gradually switch to a brace.   I have exercises to do and about 5-6 weeks before it will be back to normal.    We feel very lucky that it wasn't much worse.....had I landed on concrete or sharp gravel, like so many campsites, ....or my head, it wouldn't have been pretty.

A few days of staying put won't slow us down and we are so thankful that it is easily fixable...........

6 comments:

  1. glad your ok, downside to crutches is trying to hold a cocktail, been there! Keep the pictures coming!

    Jeff € Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Sue, you sure like to keep life interesting! What a bummer, but it probably won't slow you down much. No hiking for a while, though, and you'll miss that. I hope you thew those shoes away!

    Janet was here for lunch yesterday, just having come off their annual Fringe Festival in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sucks to get old, doesn't it. I have trouble with the MH steps too. Hope you heal quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I liked all of your adventure stories except this one. The pervert angle has possibilities for a serial killer mystery...
    Grateful it wasn't worse, but you have my permission to whine all you want to. Jan e.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whopee, I successfully posted a comment...je

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catching up just now; sorry to hear about the tumble and hope to read in the following posts that you've recovered nicely.

    ReplyDelete