Thursday, February 9, 2012

Catching up........with an update at the end.

Yes, I've been neglectful of the blog again and probably have lost all 2 of you that followed along. So, here's what you have missed....... In the past month, I've only played golf twice....the first was dismal and the next day I did OK but then Paul came up lame and I had a reoccurrence of my sacroiliac joint pain...... if we were horses, they'd have shot us both. We are better, thank you for asking. Being laid up gives one a lot of time so I did some reading. First I read "The Orphan Master's Son". A compelling and amazing book of life in North Korea. It is fiction of course , but the author has been there and also researched this horrific society extensively. It is set in present day and I think that's what makes it so difficult. It is very convoluted but if you happen to begin it, don't give up. Just go with the flow and don't try to figure it out ..... it will clarify eventually. I have started to reread it and now it all makes sense. A book that stays in the mind. And then, because I hadn't had enough horror, I read an old Steven King novel from the 70's , rewritten for the 90's. It is gory, and slimy and scary and explicit and I don't know why I hadn't read it earlier. "The Stand" is set in Boulder, which makes for an even better read with mention of all the familiar. A true good vs. evil thriller.

And then we hopped on a plane on a foggy, cloudy morning and vaulted upward until we came to the sunny part of the sky.....so pretty.
And if you look real close, you can see that we were on a two lane skyway.
We came back to Connecticut. We have been promised that it won't snow or sleet or have icy roads or be below freezing. So far so good................ meanwhile, the parents of our charges are being tourists once again.......
And with Andy and Mason in school, we get to watch the cat nap !!

PS: Did you see that I have had 9700 hits on the blog !! Now, most blogs that I read get that in a day or two but I'm not greedy......altho it could just be the TWO of you with frequent peeks in hopes that I've written another titillating update.
AND..........3-6 inches of the white stuff after midnight is predicted......going out to stock up on the milk and bread because I think that's what everyone does.....even tho we have plenty but you never know................................and I might just throw in a bit of the wine.





4 comments:

  1. Kurt read that book about Korea and highly recommended it. I will put it on my Kindle. I am reading History of Love, another complicated story that makes more sense the second time around.

    Welcome to CT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you're getting snow, but it doesn't seem you got too much. We only got a dusting too. You are good grents to trade places with the kids in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life goes like that.

    We have been buying rugs and things like that (this year's focus), and gearing up for the great influx of spring houseguests (can't wait). Unlike you, I have been playing a whole lot of golf. The hot, no-golf season will be here soon enough. At least you have snow. Makes the cold worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must me be follower #4?

    Your son, Jeff

    ReplyDelete