Thursday, March 23, 2023

It's been awhile.......

We've used this blog for years to jog our memories of what we did, where we did it, when we did it and who we did it with.     If others checked in on us, that was fine but it was never the purpose.    Along the way, I found 'blog friends' and we have kept in touch and that has been a big bonus.  
 

But over time, I gradually got lazy.    And then, one day, I realized that aside from looking at pictures, I had no idea where the time went.   So, I'm back to my 'diary' and if you check in someday, welcome back.  


My small Home Depot jade has grown over the years.   It survives on total neglect but seems to love sitting in this southern facing window.   And then it flowered !!    It overflowed with tiny white blooms and I was stunned.   Apparently this is pretty rare and "requires ideal conditions of light, food and water".   Well, this gets only good light, water when I think about it and feeding about twice a year.   If it keeps growing, I will have to move it or trim it.   And since it goes to my neighbor when we go to AZ,  we will either have to stay home or divide it into smaller pots as it is getting really heavy.  



We went to the same lovely house in AZ again this year...but a much shorter stay.    The walking path is my favorite thing and he has his pickleball tribe 7 days a week.    This year it was cold and windy and rainy and we only played golf a couple times.    One of them was with our favorite excellent golfer grandson, Alex.  

   



Through out the past year  I have been heavily involved in classes through the Denver Botanic Gardens Botanical Illustration course.     They have a comprehensive program of excellent classes, leading to a Certificate in BI.    They are intensive and instructive.    I have completed about 6-7 of the prerequisites.   I have no intention of going for the certificate but I find the instructors to be excellent and the convenience of Zoom classes makes for an ideal situation of learning from the comfort of my own space.    Someday, I might share my work but I really have no plan except to explore different medium ( graphite, colored pencil, pen and ink , watercolor) and the basics of botany, composition and perspective.     I am pleased with my efforts and results.   And it's good for this aging brain.  

And so, we're home, it's raining and snowing but there are buds on the trees, I've played a round of golf, well fortified in fleece and down, and happy to be back to my 'stuff'.     
 

4 comments:

  1. What? No photo of at least one of your pieces? I'd sure like to see one, or more! Did you post one way back, or did I think of you when I saw some examples of works done in the Illustration course? Maybe I was at the Botanical Gardens and saw some in an exhibit there. Well, in any case I hope you'll share one or two with us. Sorry to hear the AZ weather was so cold and wet. Glad it's better "back home". Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sue, welcome home and returning to blogging. Welll, I may have to get off my butt and get with the blogging. Hope you’re doing well.
    Rian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back! Did you get your hair cut? I like the style. I had a jade plant years ago and loved it, but suddenly it got "something" and died. Wouldn't mind getting another little one to see how it grows. Mine never bloomed, so your flowers were a surprise to me. I have 4 orchids blooming right now. It seems over this Covid period, they've decided that something I'm doing is right, and they're rewarding me with constant blooms. Beautiful today here in Breckenridge (47 degrees). Yesterday when we awoke it was minus 4! I just returned from a (slushy) walk in the neighborhood. We had grandkids visiting last week and more to come tomorrow. Happy spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! I just had a memory pop up on Facebook!!! You gifted me a ton of beads! When I go through my stash I do think of you when I run across "sue's " beads! I ha e to send you pic via email!

    ReplyDelete