Friday, October 18, 2019

October days....


 This was today's  Bing picture, which is my home page on my computer...... everyday the picture changes and is always a welcome beginning to my day.     This particular view is very familiar. Altho we usually don't see it from  this angle,  it is a distinctive landmark just down the road .    This is Chimney Rock and Courthouse Peak.    Yesterday, a fire started near these familiar sites and today it has exploded in size.    Fortunately, the winds blow the massive smoke plumes away from us but it leaves a sobering impression.     Early today, there was snow and rain in the area so we're hoping for the best altho it is 0% contained.   There are many beautiful jeeping trails, hiking trails and ranches in this area.  

And some great news.    Hank the Heron has returned.    We have not seen him for at least 2 months and I feared for the worst.    And then, yesterday he swooped in on his huge wings and went fishing in the pond.      I am happy and relieved that he is OK.    He's been a regular since we've lived here and others say he has been here for a long time, dividing his days between the numerous ponds around the golf course.          And then, I spied this otter on the bank.    I have never seen one around here altho there is a subdivision in town called Otter Pond so they must have walked over to check out the neighborhood.     There were two of them swimming around.    Not a good picture but I just used the phone and didn't get too close.


We're starting to think about our winter plans.     We have several options, including returning to Palm Creek in the motorhome.     We could also stay home and be cozy in front of the fireplace.    This place does get a bit quiet with many going south and west.     The golf course is open except for January but I am a fair-weather golfer.

And yes, because you want to know.....I still love my bike !    I try and ride every day.   I was getting quite comfortable and confident and then managed to take a very ungraceful dive into the dirt, gravel and dry weeds while turning around.    I was on the bike path and crossed over to the gravel frontage road.     When I went to get back on the path, I missed seeing a good sized depression and slowly went over on my side.    Now, this bike is heavy and it landed on my left leg, forcing it deeper into the dirt and gravel.    So here I am, an old lady, trapped under her bike and watching the cars go by on  HWY 550, partially obscured by high grasses.    I was more embarrassed than hurt and just hoped no one would pull over to see if I was dead.     I managed to get upright altho my bare knees got a fair share of gravel rash.       I'm still riding but my confidence was shaken a bit and I"m staying a little closer to home for awhile.

2 comments:

  1. Holy heck, lady!!!! You best be careful out there but I'm sure you are...accidents happen..even in our own homes! Take care and enjoy that bike! No Florida for us after 14 yrs! Sniff, sniff...I will miss the warm weather, friends and food! HA But have my dogs to keep me warm and we can eat out here with other friends! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! I didn't know about your fall. Now that you experienced that, you don't ever have to do it again (fall off the bike I mean...)! I know about losing confidence after a fall. However, we need to keep moving even if it's a little scary at first. Keep on pedaling!

    ReplyDelete