Tuesday, October 29, 2019

It's sweater season....

This was then....... a beautiful but chilly day for golf.....That's our house above his head.   And my ball was at the bottom of the pond.....it was a good shot, until it wasn't.....


 And this was yesterday...... about 3 inches, enough to shovel the north facing driveway.   It's cold and  wintery and good days for knitting and fireplaces.


So, I made  a go-to favorite.   We are meat and dairy free but occasionally, we add a non-meat substitute to change things up a bit.    This is quartered petite Yukon gold potatoes, chunks of peppers, red onion and sometimes sweet potatoes or squash.   I toss it in dried onion soup, cook for about 15 min at 425 and then add sliced Beyond Beef Italian sausages.    They are greasy so a quick saute and I drain them on paper towels and then add to the oven mix.     After another 20 min or so, I toss in asparagus for about 5 min.   Quick and easy and good as lunch the next day.    And the house smells like I can actually cook.         The only other "meats" that we use now and then are Gardein Italian meatballs for spaghetti and pizza and tempeh bacon.     I haven't tried the "Impossible burger" altho I applaud its success.    Aside from cholesterol, it is still loaded with fat and chemicals.





So, I'm still riding but my bike is in for it's 100 mi check.   It's been there for several days so I hope he hasn't found something serious.    Not sure how I'll manage the cold weather and biking.....

I just finished reading "Elderhood".    It's a long book but I'm a fast reader and skimmed over many parts.  "The author takes a look at a vital but often disparaged stage of life".....One of her quotes was that if you have " good genes, good luck, good finances, and one good kid,  you probably won't end up in a nursing home"..... also not likely if you have 3 daughters or 3 daughters-in-law.  I was talking to a friend in Oregon yesterday whose mother had a stroke and altho up and about, she requires 24 hour care at home.    It's costing over $14000 a month.      I'm going to recommend that at least ONE of our kids read this book.          And I learned that I was a senior, now I'm elderly and I have a few years before I am old.....All I know is that it wasn't very long ago that I was a teenager.


3 comments:

  1. YUM!!!! That mixture looks great...although, I'd do without the sausage! Not my fav meat...I just picked up some leeks to make roasted potato/leek soup with weekend. Rain here...possible snow flakes on Halloween...of course, it's kids night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep it’s a real awakening to learn that you are “elderly.” I don’t feel much different than I did in my 40s. Everything is just lower to the ground now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, time does fly! I thought old came before elderly. Oh, well. I'm hoping I can stay independent and then die though I know it doesn't usually happen that way. We do have long term care insurance if we have to use it. I can't imagine living with any of my kids - love them but NO!

    ReplyDelete