Sunday, September 23, 2018

Changing seasons.......

 We headed out in two different directions this week  to try and capture the amazing color show.  

On Thursday, I had my old and trusty Canon T31.   It has served me well on treks near and far.  along with my favorite lens, a Tamron 18-270.    But it is bulky, heavy and big.     For the past 6 months or more, I have researched and studied alternatives.   I settled on the mirrorless Canon EOS M50.    It is compact, very very light and all of my lens will work with an adaptor.    It came with a 15-45 which seems to do all that I want for now.   It has all the latest technology..bluetooth and wifi and a big touchscreen.   I think it is perfect.




Had to sneak in one of my roses in the evening light.....





 Near Kebler Pass, Crested Butte area..... leaves were at or past peak in many places.    But lunch was good at an Asian bistro and a nice walk down the streets of the this "last great Colorado ski town" which was voted #1 ski town in the US by a ski magazine.   It's western, victorian theme is well preserved.  

And then yesterday, we headed south to Last Dollar Trail.    It is about 25 mi from here and is the alternate road to Telluride.   It is only 20 miles long but definitely not the speedy way to go.  And you do need 4 wheel drive (we did see an occasional regular car but it is a rough ride) and it is impassable in rain/snow.    It meanders along Ralph Lauren's massive ranch and other cattle ranches along the way.           No color at the lower levels.   Aspen only thrive above 8000 ft.   We have a few in our yard but they say they only last about 8 years or so down here.   Ours , at about 10 years, still look healthy.   I would miss them dearly if they go before me.  













Around 10,000 ft the trail begins  the gradual descent into the valley.   At about 9,5000 you start to see the homes that have cropped up.   Massive (ie $$$$$$$) homes with equally costly views are homes to the rich and famous.     I'm not sure how they tolerate the altitude when they fly in for their brief stays.   This is the view from the airport road looking towards Telluride...(the highest commercial airport in North America).    Lots of private jets hanging out on this day.  

 Of course, when you get to the valley, it's hard to resist the gondola ride up and down the mountain.   This day was very busy in town.    We heard there were several weddings and it was an absolutely perfect day.






5 comments:

  1. Sure enjoyed seeing your photos of these mountain areas. We're thinking of making a trip to those parts next fall; haven't ever been to either Crested Butte or Telluride, though we did make it to Ouray once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure enjoyed seeing your photos of these mountain areas. We're thinking of making a trip to those parts next fall; haven't ever been to either Crested Butte or Telluride, though we did make it to Ouray once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, your photographs are gorgeous. After schlepping my big, heavy camera around Ireland for two weeks, I am thinking of getting a point ‘n shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I see you got the new micro 4/3! I'm glad you're enjoying it. Fall colors were beautiful this year.

    ReplyDelete