Friday, April 14, 2023

Spring is in the air..... along with miserable allergies

Yes, that is a straw bale sitting in our yard.    I am not a gardener and I would never plant a garden.    But, after seeing the results of Jon's successful Straw Bale Gardening efforts the last few years, I decided to take the plunge.    I got a book and joined a FB group.    Jon and Mason came to visit (after skiing at Vail) and he helped with the purchase and placement of a single bale.  Most people have several bales in rows.    It needs to be in the sun and have water available.    I wanted to make it more inconspicuous but then decided that golfers aren't critiquing my yard when they are really trying to avoid the pond in the background.     I have started the 'conditioning' process which takes about 2 weeks.    It involves fertilizer and warm water.    Then I will be able to plant cool weather plants ( peas, kale, lettuce etc) and once the chance of frost is past, I will put in tomatoes .... maybe peppers.     I will stick some flowers in the sides to brighten it up a bit.    There shouldn't be any weeds.      I can use the bale for 2 years before it deteriorates.     Stay tuned......



There is still plenty of snow around and with the warmer temps, there is fear of flooding and falling rocks and assorted dangers.    We will stay  off the mountain roads.    

April brings a birthday and this year it is a MAJOR one.    I feel fortunate that I am still upright and healthy and reasonably aware of my surroundings.    In order to stay that way, I need to continue my exercise level and coming back from AZ to windy, cold weather made that difficult.   So I requested a treadmill for my BD gift.    It arrived yesterday and after waving $$$$, the delivery guys agreed to carry the large, very heavy box upstairs.    It will go into my large bonus room,..... now called the TV lounge, the exercise gym, the art room, the library and the sewing nook.     I am happy to have all that space.   
And more than happy to have my favorite handyman around.....



Mason had to take his turn driving the 50+ year old Beetle.   It has its share of issues but ably goes to the pickleball courts and beyond.   




3 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Straw Bale Gardening. It will be fun to see what you grow. Our yard remains drifted though I did think maybe I should call my yard helper to make sure I'm on his list. Usually he can't do a cleanup or start the irrigation until mid-June because that's when the snow is finally melted. I've always wanted a treadmill, but with the ankle issue the PT says no, though he wants me outside walking. Love the Bug! Reminds me of my younger days when a friend would drive me to grad school. The undercarriage was so rusted, I could see the road passing under my feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! Glad you reached this ripe old age (I'm guessing!) with enough vigor to start a new gardening project. When it's time to plant, see if you can find some Mortgage Lifter Tomatoes. We planted some two years ago and they were heavenly huge thick hunks of favorable fruits that were so excellent in BLTs. Last year's weren't as good after being hit by a late frost, but I have high hopes for this year's harvest. That's us gardeners-- full of high hopes! Congrats on the treadmill. I recently joined a small personal gym which is less than a mile away so I have no good excuse not to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I meant to publish as me, Mary in Boulder, but the screen moved too fast!

    ReplyDelete